Saturday, January 31, 2015

INCIDENT WITH A SUTTER COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPUTY


I’d pulled to the shoulder of a rural road just outside of Nicholas (Sutter Co, CA) to adjust and tighten something on the Guzzi when I heard a car approach but, concentrating on the fix, didn’t look up.  Over an idling motor and through a rolled down window a voice called, “You all right?  Need any help?”

“Nope,” I said, still concentrating.  “Loose part.  It’s Italian.  It’s full of loose parts.”

The voice laughed.  I looked through the window of the way-too-old Crown Vic at the deputy who said, “You be sure to ride safe, okay?”

The Church of the Open Road believes it’s okay to mention nice things about those sworn to uphold our laws and protect our safety.  This was but one example of many. 

What’s your “incident?”

© 2015
Church of the Open Road Press

2 comments:

  1. It is nice to hear the times they protect and serve.

    A coworker ran out of gas on a busy highway a month or so ago (sending unit in her Armada went bad). A Deputy came by and parked behind her in the middle lane of a 5 lane highway and turned his overhead lights on to protect her and her daughter until fuel arrived and even put the fuel in the tank for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent story, and something we don't hear near enough.

    I've had quite a few run-ins with LEOs in 3 countries; almost all positive. My anecdote has to do with a new-to-me 1981 Goldwing. Bringing it home at night, I saw the familiar red and blue lights behind me.

    Huh, I thought, I wasn't speeding...

    The trooper informed me my tail light was out.

    I just bought this and am taking it home.

    "Old Goldie, eh? Yeah, I had the same bike a few years back. I'll bet it's a fuse."

    He knew right where to check, replacing the fuse himself. Sure enough, my lights were now on.

    "There ya go, buddy. Ride safe."

    I still recall that stop and it brings a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete