Monday, April 4, 2022

WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS GONNA DIE… …BUT FOUND OUT I WASN’T

 Prostate Cancer is among the most common forms of cancer found in men aged 60 to 65 and up.  The older one becomes, the more likely that such a carnival will show up in one’s prostate.  The medical community has yet to figure out what causes prostate cancer, and the individual (like me) will not know the carnival is going on until evidence of a higher-than-normal PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) shows up in panels from regular blood tests.  

Guys: if you’re of a certain age, DO get those panels done.  Check with your physician about how frequently you should have this assessment.  I let mine slip and, when the data came in, my PSA number was 34.  Normal is below five.  (Check with a real doctor ~ or see the references cited below ~ to find out if that last statement is even close to accurate.)

 


With that score of 34, it was clear I had prostate cancer, and, to me, the word cancer always meant “get your affairs in order.”
  But here’s what I found out: Prostate cancer, while eventually found in many (if not most) aging men, is also among the most successfully addressed.  Fewer than 1% of men diagnosed with it die within the first ten years.  

 

Further testing (CATscan, PETscan) indicated that the show had not yet gone on the road in my case, and it was stll confined to my enlarged prostate.  Radiological treatment ~ what’s been recommended for me ~ will likely do the trick, but the punctuation mark brought about by this whole discovery/process got me to thinking about life’s common circumstances and how my view of them changed.  And changed again…

 

A few examples:

 

* Candi goes to the shoe store.  It’s usually an hour and a half and she may or may not come out with a new pair of shoes.  Generally, I wander about, and feeling sorry for the salesperson, pick out something I might like, whether I need ‘em or not.

 



When I thought I was gonna die… I sat on a bench outside the store thinking that I’d probably never wear out the shoes I already have in my closet.

 

When I found out I wasn’t… I realized I could really use a new pair of Birkenstocks.  

 

* We love our Subaru Forester.  At just under 100,000 miles, the trusty thing is far from worn out, but on longer road trips, it is not as smooth and comfortable as its larger stablemate, the Outback.  And now that we have the fully electric Chevy Bolt, the Forester is used mainly for longer road trips.

 



When I thought I was gonna die… I figured the purchase of a new Sube (or any vehicle) would be a colossal waste.  Like all those shoes, I wasn’t gonna wear this one out.

 

When I found out I wasn’t… Dang! That new Outback Wilderness looks cool!  And rugged!  Think of all the back roads I’ll be able to explore in comfort!  Throughout the entire west!

 

* What about those celebrations that place dots on the timelines of lives of little ones and loved ones?

 



When I thought I was gonna die… I was sad for more than a moment, but not much more than a moment.  The overwhelming emotion was of disappointment for all the things I was gonna miss.

 

When I found out I wasn’t… I returned to thinking about birthdays, graduations, weddings, holidays and all the stuff that goes along with such celebrations.  Do you have to buy presents for each of those occasions?  Maybe.  But what you really need to do is show up.  I’ll be showin’ up.  Glad tidings.

 

* And then there’s the world circumstance…

 



When I thought I was gonna die… I found myself no longer as concerned about climate change or world peace.  Disappointed that my baby-boomer generation more than less screwed up what was left to us by the greatest generation, it was a relief to not have to worry about such things any longer and only hope our kids will be able to cobble together the pieces we’ve left and rebuild a better planet and a better community of nations.

 

When I found out I wasn’t… Well, crap!  After the radiological treatments prove successful, I’m going to have to reenter the fight.

 

* Recently, I posted a satirical conversation with God wherein we discussed my demise and what to do with the time I had left.  Several of my associates thought it was damned funny (because it was damned funny) but several others thought I’d just be damned for my blasphemy.  So, what about the afterlife?  Will I make it to heaven?

 



When I thought I was gonna die… I had to give some thought how my life has been and some thought to heaven.  I’ve been more than fortunate to live in some of the most beautiful environs in the State of California (and the US, for that matter) ~ the foothills of the Sierra, the pine forests of the Cascades, and now, spittin’ distance from among the most stunning coastlines anywhere. As an educator, I believe my service to kids and teachers has helped them in their success.  I’ve enjoyed the companionship of at least three wonderful dogs who, when (if?) I get to the other side, I know will charge up to me, tumble me to the ground and lick my face with abandon while I just giggle.  As a father and grandfather, I know I could have/should have done more but I get warm and welcoming hugs every time I see one of ‘em.  




And, as far as angels go, seems like I’ve been in a relationship with one for nearly 40 years.  So, I have to ask myself: “How is this not heaven?”

 

When I found out I wasn’t…  Yippee!  I get a few more years here in heaven!

 



Bottom lines?  Guys, get checked out or you may find yourself checking out.  Everyone else:  God’s advice from the previous post still stands.  See you on the road.

 

o0o

 

For more information on Prostate Cancer, check out these resources and see your doctor:

 

National Cancer Institute: https://www.cancer.gov/types/prostate

American Cancer Society (recommendations for early detection): https://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostate-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/acs-recommendations.html

Mayo Clinic: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/prostate-cancer/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20353093

Kaiser Permanente: https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/northern-california/health-wellness/health-encyclopedia/he.prostate-cancer.hw78220

Stanford Health: https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medical-conditions/cancer/prostate-cancer.html

USF Medical Center: https://www.ucsfhealth.org/clinics/prostate-cancer-center

 

© 2022

Church of the Open Road Press

No comments:

Post a Comment