The Garbage Man. The Garbage Man.
circa 1956
Before there were cul de sacs,
we had dead end streets.
I lived on one.
We’d play baseball swinging a stick at a stolen avocado
or flinging a pie plate Frisbee across the way
or hiding-n-seeking behind the hedges in neighbors’ yards.
Then we’d hear it.
The groan and grind and growl of an old International truck,
rusted to a dusty olive gray.
Or maybe it was a GMC.
Or a Diamond Reo.
Whatever it was,
it carried music in its note of approach
and a Quonset on its back
with open sides beneath a rounded top.
The garbage man. The garbage man.
He rounded the corner
from the boulevard to our street
spewing that delicious blue exhaust.
We waved at the driver
And he waved back.
And we stopped our play to chase after the beast,
never quite catching up
but always marveling at the biggest thing --
the biggest event --
we’d likely see that day.
Grinning and yelling:
“The garbage man! The garbage man!”
The garbage man had a helper man
who hung on the back of the truck,
hopping off to tip refuse from our rusty cans
into a monster bucket slung on his shoulder.
Every few houses,
he’d climb up the truck side
and dump his burden
into the depths of the Quonset,
never waving back.
His hands were full.
Little tykes that we were,
we didn’t understand --
thinking he was mean or maybe grumpy.
So we all dreamed of one day being…
The garbage man. (The one who drove.) The garbage man.
circa now
Three score years plus a few
I now live on a cul de sac.
The garbage truck,
now shiny and white,
(but sans helper – a mechanical claw took his job),
weaves through our neighborhood.
I -- and the fellow next door -- wave at the driver
who waves right back.
The garbage man. The garbage man.
At once I am a kid again,
playing baseball with an avocado,
tossing that pie pan across the street,
hiding in the neighbor’s hedge,
and dreaming about one day being…
The garbage man. The garbage man.
© 2026
Church of the Open Road Press
I also wave at the garbage truck driver every time I see him.
ReplyDelete